Growing up amongst moors and sheep in the North East of the Netherlands I started as a child making robots out of shoe boxes and toilet rolls and grabbed every piece of paper available in the house so I could draw. I ended up going to art school, graduating in Bdes Visual Communication.
After that I worked as a graphic designer, art director and photographer for several years, but decided in 2010 to take the leap and work as an illustrator which was the best decision I ever made.
Nowadays I live in Rotterdam (NL) and I work as a freelance illustrator, writer and visual artist. I work with publishers, magazines and other companies to create clear illustrations, with a bit of humour if you like.
What I do:
- Illustrations for (picture) books
- Designs for book covers (including hand lettering)
- Editorial illustrations for magazines and newspapers
- Comics and cartoons (including for Tina and Flair)
- Personal work in the form of paintings, zines and more
- Writing for (non-)fiction books, columns and articles
- Teaching workshops and speaking in public
- At age 4 declared I wanted to be a painter and drew whenever I could. Also on walls.
- Started designing and coding websites (big fan of HTML, CSS and PHP) in 1999, as a 14-year old. I built so called ‘fan sites’ which were websites dedicated to actors, music bands, tv shows, etc.
- In 2003 I was working as a part-time freelancer whilst studying Visual Communication in art school. I also worked as a gallery host and life guard on the weekends to pay for school.
- Graduated in 2007 with a Bdes in Visual Communication and worked as a graphic designer and art director at two ad agencies.
- Decided to freelance in graphic design, art direction and photography in 2009, after quitting my job in the advertising business.
- In 2010 I decided to follow my heart and moved to illustration, while still doing graphic design on the side to pay the bills.
- Three years later, in 2013, I could live from illustration jobs solely. I didn’t mind I sometimes had to eat soup for a week because of little money coming in.
- Feeling the need to tell stories and to write, I contacted magazines to see if I could write articles about personal development for them. Since 2016 my written pieces have been published by magazines including Flow Magazine, Charlie and Character Design Quarterly.
- 2019: I am a very happy and grateful illustrator and author, who still loves to design book covers and makes sure the total image is right. I combine everything I know and have learnt over the years.
I absolutely love…
Riding bicycles, pancakes, walking bare foot on freshly mowed grass, grilled tomatoes, sharpening pencils, wandering for hours in book shops, hiking long distances, reading graphic novels, freshly washed bedsheets, the UK, wearing mittens, cracking eggs, Scottish accents and old photographs of people I don’t know.
Want to stay up-to-date with what I’m up to?
Every month I send out a newsletter which is filled with what I’m working on, illustration tips, best articles I read, films I saw, books that inspired me, my favourite artists, personal thoughts on (creative) life, and more. Here you can view an earlier edition!
Awards & nominations
2015 | Viva400, 2nd place Creatives
2015 | Drentse Talentprijs Cultuur, winner
2014 | Cultuurprijs Emmen, winner
2014 | Adobe Creative Jam Award, winner
2015 | Masterclass picture book illustration, by Chris Haughton, Benji Davies and Alexis Deacon | Atapuerca (Spain)
2012 | Anglia Ruskin, course picture book illustration | Cambridge (UK)
2011 | Course Writing Children’s Books, by Tjibbe Veldkamp | Groningen (NL)
2007 | Visual Communication BDes, AKI, Academy for visual arts and design | Enschede (NL)
2003 | VWO-diploma | Emmen (NL)
Flow Magazine, Ohh Deer, 3D Total, Leopold Uitgevers, Paperchase, NRC, Tina, TEDx, Lev. Publisher, Ravensburger, Sketchbook Skool, Flair, Luitingh-Sijthoff, Charlie Magazine, American Greetings, Uitgeverij Snor, Flavourites, Usborne Publishers, Provincie Drenthe, Lannoo, Character Design Quarterly, Memisa, Blossom Books, Blond Amsterdam, Van Halewyck Uitgeverij, Gallery Nucleus, Workman Publishers New York, Zwijssen, Lev., Hautekiet Uitgevers, A.W. Bruna Uitgevers.